There is Definitely Black Mold in your Kid’s School

Mold can be found almost anywhere, both indoors and outdoors. It’s been reported by the EPA that 75% of all buildings have water damage. This includes schools, many have plumbing problems, leaky roofs or poor ventilation systems and the resulting moisture problems ends in mold growth. Delays in fixing the problems makes mold growth much worse. Unfortunately, mold in schools is not a rare finding at all, and to make matters worse, there are no set standards for indoor air quality in schools. 

Mold spores are not the only danger when microbial growth occurs. Certain species of molds have the ability to produce a chemical as a defense mechanism, called Mycotoxins. This puts the children exposed at high risk of health problems as their immune systems are not fully developed. It’s recommended by mold experts, removing any mold found growing indoors and fixing the underlying moisture problems.

Poor air quality leads to different adverse health effects. People have different sensitivities to mold, pollen, and other air pollutants depending on the individual. Some could have extreme illness, while others might have little or even no symptoms. Common symptoms from mold exposure are sneezing, sore throat, cough, runny nose, irritated eyes or skin, new or worsening asthma, headaches and fatigue. But in some people, the symptoms are more serious like vomiting, nausea, nose bleeds, dizziness, memory loss, diarrhea and changes in the mental health behavior. For those children with Asthma, According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, mold can be a common trigger for an attack.

See more symptoms here.

Knowing what steps to take if mold invades your child’s school seems direct, however, that’s just not the case. Unfortunately, there are no federal law for the indoor air quality of schools. Ongoing inspection and monitoring plays an important role in fixing the mold problems. Walk through the school, to check any mold growth or water damage. Share your concerns with the school authorities. If the school does not take necessary actions, talk to other parents. Write a letter to Board of Education. Also, look into your local and state laws regarding indoor mold. It is the school’s responsibility to provide a healthy environment. 

The information contained in this report is for informational and educational purposes only. It does not represent a health diagnosis, therapeutic recommendation or prescription for treatment. We urge you to consult and obtain medical advice from a licensed, trained, and competent medical provider for concerns with health issues.